Water Softener

Re: Water Softener

Postby Sneakers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 pm

OneConservative wrote:Don't understand the comment about the appliances. Some of our friends have lived here for better than 15 years w/o either an RO or water softener and they don't seem to have any issues with appliances failing prematurely. Perhaps someone would have more of an explanation.

The valves in appliances such as ice-makers, dishwashers, washing machines, etc tend to be small-flow devices generally made from plastic. The high calcium content in the water (here) plugs them up over time necessitating replacement. If your friends have not had to deal with this, well, they are very lucky.

My house is less than 6 years old. I have already had to replace every valve (shower/faucet) in the house. I have also had to replace all of the major appliances (which I did **after** installing a water softener).

Bottom line: Water softeners are a good thing, but you are right, the salt usage is a real PITA (I go through about 40lbs/mo because the water here is so brutal).
Sneakers

Postby OneConservative » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe their water supply is different than in town. :?
OneConservative

Postby KendoPt4 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 am

In three years we had an ice maker on a 7 year old fridge crap out on us, that's about it. I've never owned a soft water system but the new house we've moving into has one. Not sure if it works or not, I'll have to get someone out to check the thing.
KendoPt4

Postby KendoPt4 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 am

Got it serviced, found out it is a $4000 Kinetico system. **** is cash.

I am happy with my increased sodium levels. My hair still feels wet, though.
KendoPt4

Postby SmartAlec » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 pm

With water softener I find you have to use much less shampoo and conditioner otherwise it takes forever to get the rinse done. I also use less laundry detergent due to this
SmartAlec

Postby KendoPt4 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:22 pm

It broke. Kinetico customer service sucks. Back to hard water.
KendoPt4

Previous

Return to Home & Garden